Thursday, January 17, 2013

Of Cheese and Chocolate

Posted by Unknown


It’s a warm summer evening. Birds wander the sky while the sun sets in the backdrop. Dark clouds farther away indicate the arrival of a pleasant downpour. There's a slight breeze that gently blows the curtains apart, allowing the image of a Dominos delivery bike outside my neighbour's house catch my eye.

Balls!!!! 'm hungry!

I quickly grabbed my phone and call the nearest Dominos outlet. Instead of the "Hi-this-is-Dominos-would-you-like-to-try-our-cheese-burst-pizza-or-the-tacos-new-on-the-menu" monologue, I am answered by a delighted young boy who exclaims, "Hiiiii Archana, the usual?" 'cuz I'm a regular and their biggest customer, both in orders and in appearance.

I'm not ashamed of that fact. I’ll tell you why. It's not my fault that I am what I am today - a 90 kilos monster craving for cheese and chocolate by day and by night.

I blame Dominos and their brilliant "30-mins or free delivery" concept. I blame the sandwich guy at the end of my street who gives me two free cheese sandwiches every time I order from him. I blame the stationery shop lady who gives me chocolate instead of change. I blame the numerous breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets that present the world as one global village (in terms of cuisine) at an alarmingly nominal rate, allowing me to gorge food that could have been consumed as three meals by three different people. I blame the websites that offer discount coupons to your favourite restaurant at prices that make the miniscule lunch money I got in school for the “good canteen food” take a bow.

The temptations are endless. To resist them seems foolish. The pressure on my waistline is forever increasing. I am a victim of cheap (yet alluring) marketing techniques. I am a victim of Cheese and Chocolate. And I’d rather be no one else.

What are you a victim of?

0 comments: